ECAS History & Accomplishments
ECAS was founded in 2004 by a group of opinion leaders belonging to 11 European Countries who recognized that the educational, research and logistic needs in the field of cardiac arrhythmia are not appropriately fulfilled in Europe.
There was an essential need in Europe to have an independent society, composed of physicians, scientists and allied professionals throughout Europe and other countries throughout the World whose mission and goals are devoted to the field of cardiac arrhythmias.
Education and support of physicians and information to general public are among the main goals.
Previous Annual ECAS Congresses
- ECAS 2018 - April 15-17, 2018 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2017 - April 2-4, 2017 Rome, Italie - Congress Center of the Westin Excelsior Hotel
- ECAS 2016 - April 17-19, 2016 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2015 - April 19-21, 2015 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2014 - March 23-25, 2014 Munich, Germany - Hotel Bayerischer Hof
- ECAS 2013 - April 14-16, 2013 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2012 - April 20-22, 2012 Munich, Germany - Hotel Bayerischer Hof
- ECAS 2011 - April 10-12, 2011 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2010 - April 16-18, 2010 Munich, Germany - Hotel Bayerischer Hof
- ECAS 2009 - April 19-21, 2009 Paris, France - Hôtel Le Méridien
- ECAS 2008 - April 13-15, 2008 Marseille, France - Palais des Congrés
- ECAS 2007 - June 3-5, 2007 Marseille, France - Palais des Congrés
- ECAS 2006 - April 2-4, 2006 Marseille, France - Palais des Congrés
- ECAS 2005 - April 10-12, 2005 Marseille, France - Palais des Congrés
- 14th International Dead Sea Symposium (IDSS) on Innovations in Technology, Treatment and Prevention of Cardiac Arrhythmias
- ECAS stand at the Journées Européennes de la Société Française de Cardiologie
- 10th Japanese HRS-ECAS (ECAS 2017)
- PLACE 2017, Platform of Laboratories for Advances in Cardiac Experience
- 13th International Dead Sea Symposium (IDSS) on Innovations in Technology, Treatment and Prevention of Cardiac Arrhythmias
- ECAS stand at the Journées Européennes de la Société Française de Cardiologie
- 9th Japan HRS-ECAS on Periprocedural Anticoagulation (ECAS 2016)
- ECAS-AIAC on Cardiac Pacing New Trends (ECAS 2016)
- Venice Arrhythmia 2015
- Europe AF 2015
- ESC London 2015
- PLACE 2015, Platform of Laboratories for Advances in Cardiac Experience
- ECAS-WSA Joint Session on New Frontiers in Cardiac Pacing (ECAS 2015)
- HRS-ECAS Session I on Arrhythmogenic Cardiomyopathy I (ECAS 2015)
- HRS-ECAS Session II on Arrhythmogenic Cardiomyopathy II (ECAS 2015)
- 8th Japan HRS-ECAS on CRT Therapy with Y. Nakasato (ECAS 2015)
ECAS Supports 2015
- Advertisement on Cardiac Rhythmn News (digital and print)
- EPIC Alliance (ECAS 2014)
- 7th Japan HRS-ECAS Special Session with Y. Nakasato (ECAS 2014)
- 5th ECAS-Russia Special Session with A. Revishvili (ECAS 2014)
- ECAS-WSA Joint Session on Health Technology Assessment in CIEDs Electronic Devices with M. Santini (ECAS 2014)
ECAS Supports 2009
- Venice Arrhythmia 2013 - under the Auspices of ECAS
- International Academy of Cardiology,Toronto, CA
- Portuguese Society of Cardiology
- ECAS-HRS on ARVD/C (2 sessions) (ECAS 2013)
- Gulf HRS- ECAS session on new anticoagulants (ECAS 2013)
- ECAS-WSA Joint session on ICD therapy (ECAS 2013)
- 6th Japan HRS-ECAS Session (ECAS 2013)
- ECAS-HRS Session (ECAS 2012)
- Gulf HRS-ECAS session (ECAS 2012)
- 5th Japan HRS-ECAS (ECAS 2012, Prof. Yuji Nakazato)
- 4th ECAS-Russian Society of Arrhythmology (ECAS 2012, Prof. Amiran Revishvili)
- Venice Arrhythmia 2011 - under the Auspices of ECAS
- ECAS-HRS Special Session (ECAS 2011)
- 1st Indian HRS- ECAS Special Session (ECAS 2011)
- 1st Gulf HRS- ECAS session (ECAS 2011)
- 11th Croatian Symposium on Arrhythmias and Cardiac Pacing - Overture of the Symposium by Dr. Cappato representing ECAS as President
- ECAS GW Beijing
- ECAS and GW-ICC
- 10th International Dead Sea Symposium (IDSS) - under the Auspices of ECAS
- "La Morte Improvvisa e la Fibrillazione Atriale" - under the Auspices of ECAS
- ECAS-HRS Session
- ECAS-CHRS Joint Session in HRS
- ECAS-EHRA Session proposal during HRS Symposium in Denver, CO, USA
- ECAS 2010 set the session 2010GW-ICC. Agreement GW-ICC&ECAS
- XIV International Symposium on Progress in Clinical Pacing - under the Auspices of ECAS - link with the Congress official website and ECAS website
- WHRW World Heart Rhythm Week - under the Auspices of ECAS
- Know Your Pulse Campaign - under the Auspices of ECAS
- ECAS booth at "BOSTON AF SYMPOSIUM"
- 2nd ECAS-Russia Special Session (ECAS 2010)
- 4th China-ECAS Symposium Special Session (ECAS 2010)
- 3rd Japan HRS-ECAS Special Session (ECAS 2010)
- "Mediterranean Cardiology Meeting 2009" - under the Auspices of ECA
- "17th Annual Meeting of the Alpe Adria Association of Cardiology" - under the Auspices of ECAS
- "Europe AF" - under the Auspices of ECAS
- "Venice Arrhythmia 2009" - two ECAS Sessions
- "HRC 2009" - under the Auspices of ECAS
- SYMPOSIUM - 2nd JAPAN HRS-ECAS Special Session (ECAS Congress 2009) - "2009 Update on prevention of sudden cardiac death"
- HRS-ECAS SESSION - (ECAS Congress 2009) - "Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC)"
- FIRST ECAS - RUSSIA SPECIAL SESSION - (ECAS Congress 2009) - "Management of Atrial Fibrillation: Current and future directions")
- Third CHINA/ECAS Symposium Special Session - (ECAS Congress 2009) - "2009 Update on prevention of sudden death"
- AFIB PROSPECTIVE REGISTRY - Dr. R. Cappato, Dr. A. Raviele, Dr. David Shepherd, Dr. Marcia Yaross, Biosense Webster
- LEAD EXTRACTION SURVEY and Uniform Consent Form - Dr. R. Cappato, Dr.ssa Maria Grazia Bongiorni
- EUROPEAN LIST OF CENTERS
- RETROSPECTIVE PE BASED SURVEY
- SYNCOPE BOOKLET - Dr. F. Giada, Prof. A. Raviele
ECAS Supports 2009
- Supporting Companies of ECAS 2009 by an educational grant: Bayer Healthcare, Bayer Schering Pharma, Bard, Sanofi-Aventis, Biosense Webster
- Advertisements of ECAS Congress 2009 in all subsequent issues from November 2008 on the "Russian Journal of Arrhythmology"
- Four-page Announcement and abstracts, Clinical Medicine - Springer Executive Editor
- Advertisement of ECAS Congress 2009 on "Turkish Journal of Arrhythmia, Pacing and Electrophysiology"
- ECAS & China Agreement - Cooperation for 2008-2009-2010.
- ECAS & China Agreement - Cooperation between ECAS and China from 2008 to 2010. Exchange of Sessions: Chinese Session during ECAS Congress and ECAS Session during Great Wall Symposium.
- ECAS & Russia Agreement - Cooperation between the Russian Society of Arrhythmology to organize Joint Meeting of ECAS and RSA and Sessions in ECAS and Russian Congresses.
- EUROPE AF 2008 - under the Auspices of ECAS
- 9th Biannual International Symposium "Arrhythmia Lithuania 2008" - "Tips and tricks in congenital and structural interventions 2008" - under the Auspices of ECAS
- 9th International Dead Sea Symposium (IDSS) - under the Auspices of ECAS
- Heart Rhythm Congress 2008 - under the Auspices of ECAS
- II Russian Seminar "Modern view on problem of diagnostics and management of arrhythmia in children - under the Auspices of ECAS
- Progress in Clinical Pacing 2008
- Guidelines translations (U.C.F. - still on-going - we need French translation)
- Common Strategies ECAS/MED
- "8th Croatian Symposium on Arrhytmias and Cardiac Pacing 2007"
- "Mediterranean Cardiology Meeting 2007"
- "III International Symposium on Interventional Arrhythmology and Educational Course of Supraventricular Tachyarrhythmias"
- "Atrial Fibrillation 2007"
- "Levico Terme - New Frontiers of Sport Arrhythmology"
- "Fifth International Symposium on Interventional Electrophysiology in the Management of Cardiac Arrhythmias"
- "Venice Arrhythmias 2007" International Workshop on Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Birth of IEEP "Itinerant Electrophysiology Educational Program" for European Cardiology Fellows. Aim of this initiative was to offer a 2-year full-time educational program in electrophysiology to fellows elected according to selection criteria listed in the Mission Statement.
- Joint Venture with JICE
- "ICPES" Symposium
- ECAS joint Session with HRS, EHRA
. In January 2006 ECAS opened its official website www.ecas-cardiology.org, offering comprehensive information on the Society activities with an user friendly modality of approach.
. In June 2006 ECAS produced its first written Policy Statement. This document represented the joint effort of a group of experts who elaborated the official position of ECAS on the topic of "Device Failure". The document has been published in PACE 2006; 29:653-669. The main purposes of the Policy Statement were: 1) to advocate this delicate topic to the full control of the Medical Community; 2) to provide clear indications on how should physicians react on a case-by-case basis to the multiple re-calls that have been released by the different device companies over the last few years.
. 14th July 2006 - First European Consensus Conference on the Use of "easy-to-implant" large use and low cost medical devices for the primary prevention of sudden cardiac death. Chairperson Riccardo Cappato, MD - Massimo Santini, MD. This document reports the efforts of a working group of experts analysing the current development status and the future directions of a new implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) providing an alternative, potentially very effective mode of therapy to protect patients from the risk of sudden death secondary to fast ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. Physicians involved: Epidemiology: Dr. Gerhard Steinbeck (Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany); Current Technology advantages and Limitations: Dr. Dietrich Andresen (Krankenhaus Am Urban I Innere Abt., Berlin, Germany); New Technologies: Technical, Medtronic and Cameron Health Engineers - Clinical: Riccardo Cappato, MD (Policlinico San Donato, Italy) - Advantages and limitations of new technology Richard Hauer (University Medical Center Utrecht, The Nederlands).
Fundamental requisites according to the opinion of the members of the consensus conference Dr. Wyn Davies (St. Mary's Hospital, London, UK); Applications of the new technology in clinical practice: the point of view of the Anaesthesiologist Dr. Leo Bossaert (University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium), the Cardiologist Pharmacologist Dr. R. Ferrari (Ospedale di Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy), the Cardiologist Interventional Dr. Johannes Brachmann (III Med. Klinik Klinikum Coburg, Coburg, Germany), the Expert in heart failure Dr. K. Swedberg. Cost-benefit analysis of new technology: Prof. Massimo Santini (Ospedale San Filippo Neri, Roma, Italy).
Following the publication of the manuscript, and in order to improve its distribution across Europe among colleagues with incomplete access to the English language, the document on "Device Malfunctions" has been translated in 8 languages. To this purpose, the following Colleagues have served ECAS: Dr. Petrac for Croatia, Drs. De Roy, Alsteen and Dormal for Belgium (also assisting for French language), Drs. Dorwarth and Hoffmann for Germany, Drs. Tzeis, Sakellariou and Manolis for Greek, Drs. Ferrero and Cappato for Italy, Dr. Moreira for Portugal, Drs. Ardashev and Shavarov for Russia, Drs Paspour and Gorenek for Turkey, and Dr. Bardyszewski for Poland. The different translations are available on ECAS' official website, www.ecas-heartrhythm.org
. In September 2006 ECAS closed the negotiations and signed a contract of co-partnership with the Publisher (Elsevier) and the Editor-in-Chief (Dr. Sanjeeev Saksena) of the Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology (JICE). Through this partnership, JICE becomes the Official Journal of ECAS. The main missions of ECAS in this project are: 1) to distribute through JICE any written document representing the official position of ECAS in the different items concerning current Electrophysiology; 2) to promote the distribution of research outcomes by young European fellows in the International Literature. Both missions cherished by Dr. Richard Hauer from the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, one of ECAS Vice-Presidents.
- "Venice Arrhythmia 2005"
- ECAS has served as a co-partner in preparation of the "Third International Summer School on Cardiac Arrhythmias" organized in Eskisehir (Turkey) by Prof. Bulent Gorenek on 9-12 September 2005, and has contributed to the preparation of the Joint "HRS/EHRA/ECAS Expert Consensus Statement on Catheter and Surgical Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: "Recommendations for Personnel, Policy, Procedures and Follow-up" published in Heart Rhythm and Europace in 2007.